The sun is blazing in its full glory and you are as irritable as your skin is inflamed, eyes dry and itchy and hair a mess. Here are some natural ways to cool yourself down in the summers and enhance your beauty. Stock these natural ingredients in your kitchen or bathroom and you will be cool as a cucumber. Speaking of which, do remember to include at least two fresh fruits and raw vegetables in your diet every day to hydrate and nourish your body from within. Half a watermelon, half a papaya, a whole cucumber and an orange – these should form a part of your daily diet.
Coming to looking and feeling cool externally, follow these tips for homemade summer beauty hacks:
1. To soothe tired and dry eyes and also prevent hay fever and conjunctivitis, boil 2 cups of filtered water with 5 drops of witch hazel essential oil. Once it cools down, add a tablespoon of aloe vera juice. Store in the fridge in a clean and sterilized bottle. Whenever you want to use, moisten a cotton wool pad with this mixture and hold over the eyes for a few seconds. You will feel instantly refreshed and the eyes will appear brighter too.
2. Mix cucumber juice and water to use as a facial toner in the blazing weather. It will not only battle sun burns and sun damage. Simply apply cucumber juice on some cotton or cut a thick slice and rub it on your skin. It will also help with toning your skin. It is great to cool the eyes as well.
3. Tanning is the worst ever result of summer frolicking. Simply scoop out a handful of cold curd from the fridge and apply to the skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash off. This will not only remove tan if applied regularly for a week but also moisturise your skin and keep wrinkles at bay.
4. Our feet take the worst beating thanks to the open footwear we wear in the summers. For a cooling pack especially for the feet (it can also be used on the body though), blend a handful of mint leaves with a pinch of camphor, some curd and squeeze the juice of a lemon in it. Apply on the feet and wrap in cling film. Wash off after 30 minutes.
5. The first thing that absorbs the heat of the sun and the dryness of the air is your crowning beauty. Give them some TLC and ample cooling and moisture with a versatile hair pack that is as cooling as it is nourishing. Beating together a cup of curd, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and the white part from one egg. Apply this pack from root to tip of the hair and wash off after 15 minutes. No itching and a hydrated scalp.
Text by Aarti Kapur Singh