Here’s a look at some of the important events that happened on May 22 in history.
• 1761: 1st life insurance policy in North America issued in Philadelphia.
• 1828: The father of modern ophthalmology, Albrecht Von Grafe was born.
• 1859: Extremely popular for the detective series, Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. He wrote four novels on Sherlock Holmes.
• 1892: Dr Washington Sheffield invented the toothpaste tube on this day.
• 1906: the first successful flight of Orville and Wilbur Wright, popularly known as the Wright brothers, took place on December 17, 1903, and on 22nd May 1906, they were granted the U.S patent number 821,393 for their system of flight control.
• 1972: Under PM Sirimavo Bandaranaike, the island nation of Ceylon became the Republic of Sri Lanka. Sinhala was adopted as the official language and Buddhism as the state religion.
• 1989: Tenth day of the protest by students at the Tiananmen Square in Beijing. The protest was for the pro-democracy movement in China.
• 1990: The Republic of Yemen is formed after North and South Yemen unifies.
• 2015: Gay marriage legalised in a public referendum by the Republic of Ireland. It is the first nation in the world to do so.
Text by Tasneem Dhinojwala